Could My Home Have Lead?

Approximately 38 million homes in the United States still contain lead-based paint. 90 percent of the housing stock in St. Louis City was built before 1978 and may contain lead based paint. The problem is not confined to poor families or caused mainly by children eating paint chips. Small children are most often poisoned by invisible lead dust that is released when paint is peeling, damaged or disturbed. This can often be caused by the opening and closing of windows, doors that rub or old painted surfaces that have been dry sanded. The dust settles on floors and other surfaces, which can easily get on children’s hands or toys and into their mouths.

Follow this link to find helpful information about where lead could be a danger in your home: http://www2.epa.gov/lead/home-danger-zone-finder

Sources of Lead:

  • Peeling, chipping or damaged lead-based paint on windows, doors, stairs, railings and other areas of the home
  • Old varnish on windows, floors, and furniture
  • Bare soil contaminated with lead
  • Hobbies or jobs (contractors, painters, highway work, stained glass or furniture refinishing)
  • Drinking water (lead pipes, solder, brass fixtures and valves can all leach lead)
  • Imported vinyl mini-blinds
  • Candles with leaded wicks
  • Old lead-glazed bath tubs
  • Imported plastic toys
  • Imported crayons
  • Folk remedies and/or vitamins (Greta, Arzacon, Pay-loo-ah, Kohl, Kandu)
  • Car batteries and paints